Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Secret Snow Sliding Society
Topic starter  

Especially this last one with Hirscher

Anonymous

Definitely an interesting analysis of Marcel vs Ted

What do you think of this explanation about Ted playing catch up?

...When Ligety was dominating GS, his big advantage was that he skied cleaner than everyone else. He took wider turns but gained time because of his smoothness and sharp angle to the snow...

...A rule change introduced for this season reduced the radius for GS skis, making them easier to turn...

..Ligety had been the pioneer at figuring out the skis with a bigger radius that were used the past few seasons.  Now he has to adapt again....

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/finally-healthy-ligety-playing-catch-up-with-his-technique-121717

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  

I hate to speculate too much, but it seems like a reasonable explanation for the wider line throughout most of that run. Perhaps just not being aware of exactly how close he can cut it with the tighter radius skis. Interestingly where he makes the biggest mistake near the end, moving inside too quickly indicates to me that he expected the skis to hook up quicker than they did... so he moved from one end of the spectrum to the other. Perhaps experimenting with extremes trying to figure it out.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Reputable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

Reilly McGlashan is back doing racing analysis vids. Several out for this season - couple of examples:

Also like these longer vids from the Ski Racing Podcast. Ed Grant, one of the presenters, is an ex-racer who provides interesting insights on the effect of conditions, the nature of the courses, etc. Vid below cued at a comparison between the runs of Pinturault and Schwarz at the recent GS#2 at Adelboden.

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X