Marcel the greatest  

RSS

(@adrian_hamilton)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Secret Snow Sliding Society
18/12/2018 12:25 pm  

I’ve been following ski racing since the 60s. In fact it was watching the 1968 Winter Olympics that got me interested in the sport.

I see Marcel Hirscher as the greatest of all time, even while he’s still at the peak of his powers.

He is peerless and breaks record after record. Only Ingemar Stenmark in the men and Lyndsey Vonn, women has more World Cup wins. While, for me, Stenmark is the only true rival for the title, the depth of talent wasn’t around when he was racing.

7 Overall Crystal Globes and well on course for his 8th

Any views?

(@geepers)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club
Secret Snow Sliding Society
18/12/2018 11:00 pm  

For the speed event, the down hill, Franz Klammer's run at Innsbruck 1976 Olympics always sticks in the mind as the best single run I ever saw. Courses seem to have been a lot rougher in those days and he skied that run right on the edge - completely over it on a couple of occasions.

MH is always great to watch. Seems to be about the best in the business at recovering - not that he makes many mistakes.

Very hard to compare folk from different eras. Stenmark's A-frame style obviously worked so well for the time but looks strange now. Current skiers have better equipment, better training, more funding, etc.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X