Clear all

Wengen 2020  

RSS

(@geepers)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club
Secret Snow Sliding Society
01/05/2020 11:30 pm  

Did anyone else notice the speed checking moves of Beat Feuz and Dom Paris into the Kernen-S in this year's downhill race? Feuz put in a couple of quick skids and Paris basically did a snow plow.

All the racers were doing some type of speed check - usually a big stivot - into that section but those two started the slow down ahead of the stivot and a little earlier than most. Obviously effective tactics since they took 1st and 2nd place respectively. I assume it's roughly the skiing equivalent of laying up in golf.

SkiNerd liked
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
02/05/2020 10:57 am  

It's such a long and fast course that tactics and experience are incredibly important. The exit speed from that section is critical and lots of racers lose the race by going in too fast and having to scrub speed unintentionally.

I don't think Wengen or Kitzbuhel would be sanctioned as new courses today because of the risk involved. I remember Todd Brooker crashing at Kitzbuhel back in the early eighties and only waking up when he returned to Canada.

There was an Austrian racer killed in Wengen coming out of the Ziel S and being too exhausted to hold on. He flew into the netting off the jump and basically severed his leg. They reduced the jump after that.

Peter Mueller coming off the same jump and hitting the nets fracturing his shoulder.

I remember this year several racers going in to Kernen well ahead of the pace and messing it up. Those 2 are so experienced now. Paris seems to thrive on those crazy courses and has the ideal tactical approach. He is unstoppable almost in Bormio where his line choice is always impeccable.

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club
03/05/2020 2:07 am  
Posted by: @adrian_hamilton

Paris seems to thrive on those crazy courses and has the ideal tactical approach. He is unstoppable almost in Bormio where his line choice is always impeccable.

Good points. (Wengen was featured in that old Robert Redford film "Downhill Racer".)

I've been wondering what makes Dom Paris so competitive. Seem to me he has a higher tuck position than other racers and often looks like he's just having a casual training run. Seldom seems to be living on the edge on a lot less than the others.

Mind, was hard to get to see much of the racing. FIS have tightened up on their vids - frequently only posting 1st place runs this year rather top 3 and active in taking down their content when used by other posters. Australia is not so good for televised snow sports.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
03/05/2020 2:07 pm  

I'm lucky. I can subscribe to Eurosport on my computer for £6.99 per month and get all the races live. It also streams other winter sports. I love watching the biathlon and actually think it's the best TV Winter sport.

Paris is so strong but is also technically excellent. Like in the Kernen Ss he always skis the Carcentina traverse in Bormio incredibly accurately and stays higher than almost anyone taking the speed from that into the next and fastest part of the course. 

When he gets it right, I love watching Matthias Mayer. He's incredibly smooth. I can't understand why he hasn't won more.

I much prefer watching the tech events personally. Maybe it's because it relates a bit more closely to the skiing we're trying to do.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club
06/05/2020 6:57 am  

I'm up for watching most televised ski sports (not including ski ballet). Preferably after a day of actual skiing. Happily watch the whole unfolding drama of an alpine event. For the modern moguls it's pretty much top 6 is enough.

Will have to check out if any subscription services (other than Fox) are available. At one stage our Special Broadcasting Services were good for these less popular sports - less popular in Australia that is.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X