Notifications
Clear all

Edge Bevel: what's your preference?

(@therealmrtall)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club
Secret Snow Sliding Society
Topic starter  

I didn't give too much thought to edges until I attended the SideCut tuning session the other night. Honestly I have no idea how my edges are set up; I can only assume a one degree base bevel and 92 on the sides (since they are apparently the most common).

I'm looking to a set of skis to my quiver that are more piste- and performance-oriented like the Rossi Hero Elite MT TI. (I currently run Rossi Exp 88 HD.) Thought I'd experiment a little with the base edge bevel. Maybe 0.7? Could always start with 0.5 and head toward 0.7 if the 0.5 is too aggressive.

Curious to know about your edge setup.

Topic Tags
(@geepers)
Reputable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

@therealmrtall

I used 1/1 when 1st started paying any attention to these numbers a few years back. That was primarily skiing at Big White - lotta soft powder there. Then moved to 1 for base and 2 for edges a couple of years back on Rossi Exp 84s. Since purchasing groomer oriented skis last northern winter now use 0.7 for base and 3 for edges.

There hasn't been any radical change in the behavior of the skis. Just seem to work better on hard snow/ice. Then again decent rock strike when carving can make an edge very ordinary very quickly.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Reputable Member Moderator
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper

@therealmrtall This chart might be useful.

Edge Bevel Guide for Skis | evo

I went for years with 1 and 2, base and side, but recently after chatting online with Morgan Engel I tuned all of my skis to 3 side edge. The difference is really noticeable. 

When I need a base grind I ask for it to be flat rather than get the shop to try and set the base edge as I don't know who will be working on them and whether they know what they're doing or not.

I'm going to experiment with a bit less bevel, starting with 0.5 and see how that feels.

ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  

Thanks for the notes. I wonder if the skis I demoed at Mt. Washington simply weren't tuned. I recall the shop manager at the time saying they were just factory. Maybe that's why they felt really odd. The SideCut folks mentioned in their presentation that it's surprising how out of whack they can often come from the factory; although there's factory bevel, the skis need tuning in any case.

I might get Ski Tak Hut to grind my Exp 88s down and I'll experiment. Being all-mountain I might set them end up at 1 degree eventually, but I'll start a bit smaller and see what happens. 

In any case, it's an exciting prospect to be doing my own skis. SideCut did a good job of demystifying the process.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Reputable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

@therealmrtall

May be a good idea to practice on some old skis first.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X