Notifications
Clear all

Integrated binding (system ski) versus flat ski  

(@therealmrtall)
Eminent Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  

I'm interested in the Elan Wingman 82 CTI. There are two versions: one with an integrated binding; and the flat ski. 

https://elanskis.com/ca_en/wingman-82-cti-fusion-x  
https://elanskis.com/ca_en/wingman-82-cti-flat

My understanding is that the flat ski will be more versatile, whereas the integrated binding is more geared for carving/front-side skiing. I have a set of Rossignol Experience 88 with their binding system. Compared to my (now sold) Volkl Gotamas (flat skis), there was quite a different feel on the snow. Granted, they are totally different skis, but I felt more connected to the snow on the Gotama. I think that "connected" feeling would be better for bumps, powder, i.e., more all-mountain applications.

Curious what your thoughts are. Some notes to consider are that I'm an advanced skier with aspirations for CSIA L3.

(@adrian_hamilton)
Estimable Member Moderator
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper

@therealmrtall it looks like we're on the same quest with regard to the Level 3. Hopefully we'll be able to share some training ideas over the coming months.

I don't know the ski but a quick look suggests it's the right kind of ski for the Level 3. My only input would be that from what I know Elan bindings used to and as far as I know still  have quite a big ramp angle (or is it delta, I can never remember) which could impact on balance.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

The advantage of the ski/binding package is that it will be easy to experiment with the boot placement on the ski as it is a track. If it's a minimum binding of separate toe/heel then where you mount 'em is it.

Can I ask why you think the binding will make much difference?

ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  
Posted by: @geepers

Can I ask why you think the binding will make much difference?

I'm not sure to be honest. Research seems to suggest that a flat ski setup would be more versatile for all-terrain skiing -- closer to the ski/snow, so better for bumps and whatnot -- whereas the system ski would be more for carving. I certainly felt that difference in the skis I have -- the Rossi with the "system" setup and the other with bindings mounted in the "traditional" sense.

Another factor may be added weight in an integrated system. It might just be my particular skis, but they are HEAVY. (Makes spiess some real heart attack material. 🤣 ) 

One catch is there's only one set of the ski I want (in my length) in Canada, and it's the flat one.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

@therealmrtall

I have some Rossi 84 Exp (2017-18 model - the last yellow and black one) with the integrated binding. Those are heavy!

I also have a pair of Dynastar Speed Master SL with the integrated Konect binding. They are lighter than the Rossi's despite having two metal layers.

Makes a difference over the course of a week's skiing. It's not the actual skiing so much as the occasional bit of skating, lifting skis on to chair rests, etc, that is tiring about a heavier ski. Ok once the legs have been hardened by a few weeks skiing.  

Have you demo-ed the Wingman 82s in either config?

ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  

@geepers I haven't demoed them. Unfortunately they don't have a demo available, so it's somewhat of a gamble. It would be nice to compare the Wingman CTI versus TI for stiffness. 

Looks like we have pretty much the same ski, but mine are Rossi Exp 88 from 2018 -- the black and bright green ones. Try Spiess on those puppies if you want a great HIIT workout!

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

Understand - sometimes just have to place an order and see how it turns out.

I demo-ed the Wingman 82 Carbon Ti in August 2019 in Australia. I was really looking for a sub-70mm frontside ski and took the 82 for a drive waiting for my turn on some Elan SLX 165s. IIRC the 82 was fine but was more of an all mountain ski than I was seeking. OTOH the SLX was fantastic - very nimble and a ton of fun in the bumps - but so freakn heavy!

ReplyQuote
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X