Clear all

Seeking some thoughts on choice of skis  

RSS

(@geepers)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club
Secret Snow Sliding Society
26/12/2019 10:12 pm  

I've been looking for skis focused on technical skiing for some time - planning to make a purchase very shortly.

Had a chance to test a number of skis in Australia this last season. Unfortunately my #1 choice - Volkl Racetiger SC - aren't available through snowpro. And there were 2 skis in second place in my list and that's leading to some indecision.

The two are the Head iRally and Dynastar MasterSpeed SL Konnect. I liked the way both those skis flexed in turns and in the bumps. The iRallys felt a little more nimble, the Dynastars felt a little more stable although both have similar labeled turn radius (13.7m / 14m respectively).

Any opinions on the respective merits of these skis would be welcome. I'll be using them primarily in Western Canada (generally softer snow) and in Australian (generally firmer snow) resorts.

(@skinerd)
Estimable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
27/12/2019 12:30 am  

Hhhmmm, I haven't skied the Dynastar MasterSpeed SL Konnect, but I like the looks of it:)

I have skied the Head I-Rally. Really nice for carving and short radius turns... and pretty forgiving flex. I find the super flared shovel to be a bit of an anoyance in the bumps, but to be honest, I find any ski with that much sidecut not to be ideal for bumps. For most situations I prefer the versatily of 15 to 18m radius. 

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
27/12/2019 9:57 am  

I've just bought a pair of Nordica Doberman Spitfire 80s. I wanted something with performance but with that little bit of extra width for when the snow is a bit choppier. They're 16m in a 174. I'll be skiing them next month and let you know how they go.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club
28/12/2019 9:52 pm  

Thanks for the comments, guys. The iRallys being good for carving as well as shorts was probably my main question  - had the least opportunity to check out AP due to conditions (crowds, vis) for the couple of runs available.

Definitely looking for shorter radius skis this time around - just because. I'd go for the Elan SLX 165 (12.8m) which was a tonne of fun. A heavy ski however so doubt I could use as the daily driver. Maybe next purchase.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
14/01/2020 3:47 pm  

@geepers I thought I'd update you on the Nordica Doberman Spitfire 80s. I've skied them for 3 days now in warm conditions. There hasn't been much snow here for several weeks, though they've maintained what they have brilliantly. So basically it's less springlike than you'd expect, decent snow with some hard sections.

I usually take an age to get used to new skis but these skis felt great after a couple of runs. They're powerful, fairly stiff and while they're great at lower speeds, they're definitely at their best when you push them. Long turns are an absolute dream but so is just about any radius. I skied some shorts on a moderately steep European black run today with firm snow and their response was fantastic.

These are by some margin the best skis I have ever owned or skied. I haven't had the opportunity to ski any bumps yet, but with a good amount of fresh snow and cold temperatures due at the weekend, I'm sure powder and bumps aren't far away. I will update on how they go soon, but for the moment I am just excited to ski them everywhere.

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club
14/01/2020 11:06 pm  

Hi Adrian,

Sounds like you are very happy with that choice. It's great when it comes off. Be interested to hear how they bump.

I ended up going with the Dynastars - just felt the need to get on something narrow underfoot - probably the best way of guaranteeing deep, deep powder 🙄.  They are currently 12,000 km away at my son's place. A little over a week before I get to try them out.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X