Notifications
Clear all

Ski Choice

(@therealmrtall)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club
Secret Snow Sliding Society
Topic starter  

I demoed the Rossi Hero Elite+ Ti (181cm) over three days. Loved it. Lots of grip, quick edge to edge. A lot of fun. Some observations were that it was a little more work to steer, but not too bad, but edge grip was fantastic. (I'm comparing to the Rossi Exp 88 HD 188cm.) Conditions were spring conditions -- hardpack in the morning, nice around 11am, and getting slushy by end of day (for the most part). Loved the skis all day long in any case. In fact, I genuinely felt bummed about the prospect of getting back on the Exp 88's, which is why I grabbed the demo again for my last day of the season.

My question is about how these will hold up in the off-piste, or even on-piste in the chop. I'd certainly be up for the challenge, as I think it would only make me a better skier. It's a pretty stiff ski -- with a stiff tail, so any time I found myself caught back a little they rocket. That leads me to my next question: how will they do in bumps? I feel like it's a great ski, but I have only skied it on-piste (where it's very much at home) and I need to develop in a big way in the bumps. Are they going to make my life difficult? 

Another ski I'm considering is the Elan Wingman 82CTI (184cm). 82mm underfoot, but still a decent turn radius. My thought on this one is that it'll be a good one-quiver ski. 

Seems like a lot of the ski school is on a Hero of some kind, plus a lot of the L4 Academy. Just looking for some general advice. I forget what everyone here skis -- how do you like your skis in the bumps?

(@geepers)
Reputable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club
Secret Snow Sliding Society

Posted by: @therealmrtall

I demoed the Rossi Hero Elite+ Ti (181cm) over three days. Loved it. Lots of grip, quick edge to edge. A lot of fun. Some observations were that it was a little more work to steer, but not too bad, but edge grip was fantastic. (I'm comparing to the Rossi Exp 88 HD 188cm.) Conditions were spring conditions -- hardpack in the morning, nice around 11am, and getting slushy by end of day (for the most part). Loved the skis all day long in any case. In fact, I genuinely felt bummed about the prospect of getting back on the Exp 88's, which is why I grabbed the demo again for my last day of the season.

My question is about how these will hold up in the off-piste, or even on-piste in the chop. I'd certainly be up for the challenge, as I think it would only make me a better skier. It's a pretty stiff ski -- with a stiff tail, so any time I found myself caught back a little they rocket. That leads me to my next question: how will they do in bumps? I feel like it's a great ski, but I have only skied it on-piste (where it's very much at home) and I need to develop in a big way in the bumps. Are they going to make my life difficult? 

Another ski I'm considering is the Elan Wingman 82CTI (184cm). 82mm underfoot, but still a decent turn radius. My thought on this one is that it'll be a good one-quiver ski. 

Seems like a lot of the ski school is on a Hero of some kind, plus a lot of the L4 Academy. Just looking for some general advice. I forget what everyone here skis -- how do you like your skis in the bumps?

Couple of years back I demo-ed the Ross Hero STs for a couple of hours. Wasn't ideal conditions for that ski - very warm, tending to slush. Similar observation to you - that's a ski that likes to be tilted and carved and had to be persuaded to skid. Get back a little too far and the feet want to jet out. The tails were firm, which was quite noticeable in the bumps.

I preferred skis like the Head iRally, Elan SX, Volkl SC and the ski I eventually bought Dynastar SL MasterSpeed. They all carve very well and I prefer any of them in the bumps to the Rossi ST. The Dynastars are 67mm under foot - the only time I found them a handful is heavy, soft snow. However believe I got that sorted after enough "practice" in Australia last season - get off the old outside leg.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X