Notifications
Clear all

CARV Digital Ski Coach

(@borsky)
New Member Science Friction Club
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  

I'm thinking of buying CARV and would be interested to read anyone's experience with it. Has it been a useful tool for improving your ski technique? Please share how it worked for you, or how it didn't.

(@adrian_hamilton)
Reputable Member Moderator
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Secret Snow Sliding Society

I've heard various reports, some sceptical and some viewing it as a useful tool. I'm yet to hear an impartial whole hearted endorsement. It's an expensive piece of kit to speculate on in my opinion. 

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Reputable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

I've also been thinking of getting CARV. Mostly because we are stuck in Australia and not getting a chance to do workshops with CSIA L4s. At least not until the world returns to some sort of travel normal....

In reality it's not going to replace an instructor however from what I've heard from users it's a good tool to help work on specific aspects of your own skiing. Are we actually directing pressure to the outside ski? Are both skis edging simultaneously and the same amount? 

It's not cheap - about the cost of a pair of lower end skis/bindings. IIRC there was a sale on prior to Xmas which made it a more attractive proposition so I'll wait for the next one. Don't need it until next July at earliest.

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

I’ve contacted them a couple times asking if I could test and review a set... but no luck yet.

The concept certainly has some potential if the machine can put its feedback into the appropriate context. My concern is people will get fixated on on things like ‘maximum edge’ angle when that may not be the appropriate action for the objective. I can see a situation where it might aggravate a problem. 

It will be interesting to see how it evolves. Just watching the ads it looks like they’re developing more and more useful features.

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

I suppose the nice thing about a system like CARVE is they just need to add a software update to make massive improvements. So I suspect it will get much better as they gather more data from users.

ReplyQuote
(@borsky)
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  

I read a comprehensive review in another forum which is very positive. I've also read that further features will be added to later versions (which might already been done). However, it's been suggested that CARV might not work indoors, as it relies on GPS. Anyone has any info about this?

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper

This was a concern of mine too borsky, doing so much skiing on indoor snow as you well know.

ReplyQuote
(@borsky)
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  

@adrian_hamilton

Just been on CARV’s website and found that it currently doesn’t work in an indoor entertainment because of weak GPS signal. But apparently they’re currently working on a solution 

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper

Interesting. I never even thought about that. It was more to do with the requirement to sample some turns before setting a plan for the run. It looks like you need about 15 turns which would be the other side of reception and into the car park at Chill Factore in Manchester.

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@kable)
Active Member Science Friction Club
Science Friction Club

Bumping an old topic, but in case anyone is looking for info I’m actually using a Carv system this season and would be happy to answer any questions about the good, the bad, and the inconvenient. There is much of all three!

SkiNerd and gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

Sounds like Carv is willing to give 10% off to SkierLab members... So if you’re looking to buy... standby, should have a discount code shortly. 

Marcus liked
ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper

@skinerd that's really good. Apparently they're in the process or have just completed developing a system that will work on indoor snow for us mountain deprived skiers.

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

So I got that discount code if anyone is considering purchasing Carv.

Just enter CARVLIKESCIENCEFRICTION on checkout at https://getcarv.com for 10% off. SkierLab also receives a small commission so helps support this site as well... win win:)

Keep in mind this is not an official endorsement of the product as I haven’t had a chance to try them yet, but it sounds like I might have the opportunity to do some testing for them, so will write a review when I get the chance.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Reputable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

Thanks for this @skinerd - considering for this upcoming Oz season. It depends on cost into Australia. Appreciate your efforts here.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X