Drills and Exercise for Skiing on Indoor Slopes or Small Hills  

Page 1 / 2

(@adrian_hamilton)
Estimable Member Moderator
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Secret Snow Sliding Society
Topic starter  

Lots of people ski in Snowdomes here in the UK and there are places around the world with very short vertical. The longest dome in the UK is only 185m long so we have to be super creative to get the most out of our training and the hill is usually pretty busy making space a real issue.

I was just wondering what drills or exercises people would suggest for these confined circumstances, what cues would you have for success and how would you put the skill back into your skiing?

(@geepers)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

185m (or whatever the length of your indoor slope) is going to allow at least a few turns. Depending on crowding maybe:

1. Braquage - Drills Library. Or CSIA's Jeff Marks demo. I'd also do the one from a low flexed position.

2. Outside to outside hop turns

3. Falling leaf - both the way TG describes as practice for fore/aft and as JFB describes in this. In fact all the drills in this vid can be useful. May be limited by lack of steepness for some.

4. Spiess turns - Drills Library (for those with enough body function).

5. Hockey stops - Drills library (or CSIA Jeff Mark's demo)

6. Tobin's line down the middle and short turn back and forth across the line - Drills Library (Plant-o-Line)

7. Tobin's as many short turns as possible in a section of the pitch

8. Dolphin turns - Drills Library. Tobin's vid has an excellent progression. (Must admit I need some small ridge or bump to do a decent dolphin. A few cm is all but it so helps.)

9. Javelins - Drills Library

10. Avalement turns - Drills Library

11. Dr Ken's One legged snowplow

12. And... only if it is safe enough to try...

a. Glove golf

b. Carve 360

(They are in P2PV3.)

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

Some great ones there geepers but not a chance of number 12, it would result in carnage. I remember doing Ken's one legged snowplough with Ken for over a mile in Hintertux. My legs have never burned so much and my hips still haven't recovered.

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

I will definitely be doing outside to outside hop turns when we can ski again.

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Estimable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

Agreed, Glove Golf is probably not wise in the in the snow dome:)

I suspect Outside to Outside Hop Turns will be the drill of choice this season.

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Estimable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

The 7 pillars?

• Braquage
  • Roller Blade Turns
  • Javelin Turns
  • Avalement
  • Dolphin Turns
  • Speiss
  • One Ski

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

Adrian, have been pleasantly surprised that most of the vid you've posted in the ski dome have empty slopes! Otherwise wouldn't have suggested #12. Maybe you are great at picking the moment...

On outside to outside hop turns...

Anyone else noticed that the CSIA crew all did theirs with one or both poles touching the snow throughout. Although it's a light touch expect it will add that little bit of extra stability.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@geepers It's a bit deceptive and you have to wait for a clear run. Also the ones I posted are in the first few minutes before people are on the slope. You can usually get 2 or 3 less busy runs but there's not much common sense in the behaviour of many users to be honest.

I hadn't noticed the poles touching. I will look again.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

I've just watched it again. It's mainly the inside pole, I'm guessing a cue for stability and to monitor moving inside too far.

I thought we might have had a few more videos from them by now.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

Watching Dr Ken's video back as well. I love his delivery. Having skied under his tutelage for 12 or so days, the comment he makes about it hurting are very familiar. He prefaces drills with comments like, ''You're not going to like this. It's going to hurt and you're going to hate me, but if you learn to do this well, you're going to be a really good skier,'' and ''if this doesn't hurt you're not doing it right.'' My favourite was him watching someone in the group make a run and comment, ''I don't know what that was -----(name) but it wasn't skiing.''

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Estimable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

Like a pole plant, I feel dragging the inside pole gives you that extra little bit of spatial awareness to help you balance. I bet the outside to outside drill is pretty challenging without poles... anyone wiling to give it a shot!

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

It's surprising how much difference the lightest of touches via finger or pole can make to  balance. Even doing a one footed exercise at home. Feedback and an extra point some distance away to torque off.

Let's be careful about putting ideas into the heads of L4s - if they want to see no poles let them all demo it 1st... 😀

Adrian, another item for the indoor facility are those turns in the Gellie vid "Pivot Slips - Torque and Early Edge Grip". The pivot slips are from a flexed position (so different to CSIA) however as they develop into the short, carved turns they give great feel for foot everting/inverting, winding up of the lower body against the upper, toppling and early edge. The short turns provide a narrow corridor and speed control (on an intermediate pitch) so should be safe in indoors.

Really wish we had one of those facilities in Sydney.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@geepers that's another good one.

We are lucky to have our indoor snow, hoping they can reopen eventually. It's along way to the nearest reliable mountain snow.

It's amazing the amount of feedback you get from minimal contact with a pole. I remember the revelation when someone suggested it some years ago for skiing in very poor visibility. Just a light drag of the inside pole tells you just where you are in space.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

The other common thing in one legged drills is to see the tip or tail of the uplifted ski touching the snow. Similar purpose.

See some sort of additional touch point all the time. When skinerd challenged above I went through my little collection of youtube vids and couldn't find a single one where there wasn't an additional touch point either from a pole or ski for at least some part of the move. That includes many world famous skiers/instructors/racers!

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

Given that space is at a premium are there any exercise recommendations for fall line or narrow corridor use?

Ones I use and some have already been suggested are: braquage, hockey stops, decider rider hockey stops, plant the line short turns, highest number short turns, Spiess, Norwegian pole plant, arm swingers, side slip with quick edge engagement.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X