Clear all

Drills and Exercise for Skiing on Indoor Slopes or Small Hills

Page 2 / 2

(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Secret Snow Sliding Society

Almost forgot, I tried the one ski and edge to edge hops without poles the other day... good fun. Many were not graceful! Just about to head up the hill for a family ski. Maybe we’ll film some.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Reputable Member Moderator
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@skinerd that would be good. I am so bad at one ski stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Reputable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

@adrian_hamilton - my one legged skiing improved dramatically after some advice from Luc Neron:

1. Balance from the ankle rather than the knee. This assumes ski boot set up is ok. Good support but enough room for the ankle/foot to do their thing.
  2. Improve proprioception in feet by practicing balancing on one foot. Bare feet (or socks). When brushing teeth when shaving, etc. Basically any opportunity to get one bare footed for at least a minute or two. Flex/extend the knee and hips, wave upper body and arms around to add 

Those two things made a huge difference over about a week. From "Damn, I can't do this" to "Oh, wee... this is fun!". Not to claim any great mastery but no longer horribly dweebish at them.

My favorite one legged drill is inside out turns. Thanks to Jamie.

@skinerd - looking forward to seeing that.

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@geepers thanks, great tips.

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

We did some fun edge to edge hop experiments with the level 3 training group here at MW the other day (sorry didn’t get any film as it was a blizzard).

We did the regular version once with mediocre success among the group. Then for the next two hours challenged ourselves with all sorts of crazy variations without poles. We had a or of fun flailing around and we were all pretty awful at it. But when we went back to the regular edge to edge hop turns at the end, we all had far superior balance and they seemed really easy.

The one thing I found really helped me (and almost everybody else) while doing edge to edge hops without poles was adding the ‘Pants Drill’ to it. It just so happens I’m currently editing a Pants Drill video for the drill library (will post in a day or two). Unfortunately I don’t have the one ski edge to edge hop variation as I filmed it prior to this experiment.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@skinerd that will be interesting to see. It’s so good to remember that when you challenge yourself like this, returning to something you previously found hard benefits so much. I definitely need to have this in my mind at all times.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

Pants drill? Can't recall that one... Will keep eye out for the posting.

Have a feeling that those hops will catch out the unprepared at L3. (I'm secretly pleased I won't have to go through assessment on those.) The well prepared will shine. I'm looking forward to giving them a go on snow (in July - only 6 months to go!) as likely they'll get some attention in L3 training modules.

I take it the L3 assess is either outside to outside hops OR braquage. I assume the braquage will be the CSIA way - from extended legs as demo-ed by Jeff Marks on a previous vimeo? Another practice item for indoors.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

No pole contact with snow and very little inside ski on snow here. No hops - still, neat skiing.

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

@geepers I just watched that the other day. I agree looks good... and that glacier sure looks familiar:)

I had moderate success with that one until I tried to add the hops and then totally lost it. As mentioned my saving grace for one ski edge to edge with no poles was incorporating the pants drill. I wouldn’t say I had them dialed but it gave me hope. Just posted: https://skierlab.com/pants-pullers/

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

@skinerd Well that "no poles" drill seems to be working for Ramon. A 1st and 2nd WC slalom podium over the weekend.

On the pant pullers exercise.... That looks useful. Although I'm a little hesitant about pushing the outside leg down. Done my best to eliminate pushing the ski in just about all circumstances as it can lead to pushing the heels away or, if the ski grips and the GRF pushes back it can get a bit too exciting.

Prefer the image of having the ski push back at us and managing that pressure.

Specifically thinking of those skiers who are in the process of learning to pure carve. But my teaching experience is very limited so maybe it's not a problem?

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

My mistake - two 2nd places for Ramon. ? 

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

Posted by: @geepers

@skinerd Well that "no poles" drill seems to be working for Ramon. A 1st and 2nd WC slalom podium over the weekend.

On the pant pullers exercise.... That looks useful. Although I'm a little hesitant about pushing the outside leg down. Done my best to eliminate pushing the ski in just about all circumstances as it can lead to pushing the heels away or, if the ski grips and the GRF pushes back it can get a bit too exciting.

Prefer the image of having the ski push back at us and managing that pressure.

Specifically thinking of those skiers who are in the process of learning to pure carve. But my teaching experience is very limited so maybe it's not a problem?

Yes, like all drills, the specific cues need to be adapted for the user.

For me, the main focus is the pulling up on the inside thigh, but pushing down on the outside thigh just signals a slight extension of that leg to keep snow contact at initiation. From the fall line down it seems to help me resist by keeping the leg long and strong and counter balance with my upper body (angulation)... but the same idea could just as easily trigger a negative movement pattern for someone else. I guess it comes down to how you perceive ‘pushing.’

In reality the amount you can push on the snow is pretty minimal but if you’re pushing in the right direction it should push back an equal amount. I agree, it’s mostly just resisting the snow pushing on you from the forces in the turn.

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X