Clear all

How to take the best video for analysis

(@adrian_hamilton)
Reputable Member Moderator
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Secret Snow Sliding Society
Topic starter  

One of the things I really want to improve is getting better video to analyse my own and my wife's skiing.

I think I have a rough idea: skier coming towards you, middle of the frame but all the footage I have is pretty bad. We also have a lot of footage of the inside of bags and pockets but that's another level of incompetence.

Does anyone have any really good tips they could share?

My current filming options are; iPad, iPhone, Canon SX 260 digital camera about 7 years old and Panasonic HC-V180 Camcorder about 5 years old.

(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

I just use my IPhone (11pro) to film everything these days...  video analysis for students and the more recent video footage on this website. The downside is you cant zoom in to far away skiers so you can only get a few good turns coming towards then past the camera but it shoots crystal clear 4K video at 60 frames per second (good for slow motion) and has great stabilization. The I just airdrop it to my IPad for viewing.

I’ve been using the Hudl Technique App for video mark up when doing video analysis in person... and the OnForm Mobile App for online video analysis and distance coaching.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

i don't think the camera on my iPhone is good enough. I think it's 6s or something.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Reputable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

Aadrien - Good question.

May want to check the default vid settings on your smartphone.

The i-6 does 4K at 30fps. 4K should be better for zooming in later. Can get 60fps but only at lower.

Think the camera optics have improved on the recent smartphones. Tend to find they're ok for bumps and shorts (and even IP) but AP uses a lot of mountain real estate. The main problem is limited zoom. Finger zooming tends to unsteadiness and makes it hard to keep the skier in frame.

Aside: @skinerd - be interested what you used for those carving sequences in P2P V3.

Projected Productions use long distance lenses and often photograph from a distance. That means there's less change in apparent size of the skier over the run. Easier for tracking and focus.

Wondering if those 3rd party zoom lenses for smartphones would help. But don't relish carrying it around all day. Not the weight so much as having a hard object in a pocket in event of a fall.

Then there's the sun. Light behind skier tends to silhouette making it hard to see body angles. Light behind the photographer makes it hard to see the screen.

Have tried a TomTom Bandit - helmet mounted cam. Optics not as good as a GoPro or even a smartphone. Short focal length lens tends to fisheye so useless for static frontal shots but it is not bad for following another skier with a bit of practice. The other good point is that can film on the go so skiers aren't self-conscious and it doesn't take up too much ski time. 

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

Posted by: @geepers

Aside: @skinerd - be interested what you used for those carving sequences in P2P V3.

Nigel shot that footage on his DSLR (Fuji xt1).

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

@skinerd - That's really nice vid he shot. Did he use a long lense for any of it? Tripod?

Even without the extra equipment a DSLR camera is not so practical to carry around for a day's skiing.

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

@geepers He used a couple different lenses, one of which was a smaller range long lense. Mostly shot without a tripod... but I recall having to sift through a lot of shaky footage that was unusable.  

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

@skinerd

lol on the shakey footage. Hazard of zoom - although smartphones and gopro are pretty good at stabilizing. Have used a ski pole as a poor-man's tripod on occasion.

Been looking online at Moment tele lense for iPhone. There's one that gives at least 2 times zoom which doesn't look too bulky to carry. That plus the phone's 2x and post-production zoom on 4K looks promising.

Then of course need to find a reasonable operator to get footage of our own skiing. Don't suppose Nigel is planning a trip to Australia some August? ? 

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

@geepers It’s quite the process... If Nigel manages to hold the camera steady, I’m almost guaranteed to blow the turns. I’m now training my daughters up, they’ve got a way better handle on technology:)

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

The iPhone cameras are pretty hard to beat when you factor in the portability. I've had the iPhone 12 for about a week (necessitated by a hardware issue with my iPhone 7) and the camera is pretty amazing. Photo and video quality is impressive. (Pro models are even better.) You get decent optical zoom on the new phones. I think the 12 Pro Max has up to 5x optical zoom. The iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max (respectively) have decent zoom capability for video as well:

• 2x optical zoom in, 2x optical zoom out
  • Digital zoom up to 6x
  • 2.5x optical zoom in, 2x optical zoom out
  • Digital zoom up to 7x

The only difficulty is finding someone to record the video. ? 

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@geepers I am probably a bit behind most of you technologically speaking. Any links to where I can find information about 'post production zoom?'

I had no idea there was such a thing as a zoom lens for an iPhone. I've had a quick look and they're not terribly expensive so probably worth a try.

Does anyone have any advice/ links to editing software, preferably something easy to use?

I'm lucky in that I always ski with my wife, so she's always there to take some footage. Unfortunately she is really awful with technology (by her own admission) but that's something I'm sure we can improve given some simple, easy to use equipment.

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

@adrian_hamilton If you have an IPad, or want to edit directly on your phone Luma Fusion is great editing software. Easy to use and very affordable, but it’s only available for IOS or Ipad-OS.

If you just want to mark up video for your own analysis rather than producing videos then the free version of Hudl Technique is a good option.

ReplyQuote
(@kable)
Active Member Science Friction Club
Science Friction Club

4k 60fps shot in 2x on phone. Then move into something like Luma Fusion and keyframe your zoom and positioning to keep the skier at the proper size and centered.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@kable I saw that luma fusion is an editing programme. Is key frame something that I will find on the website? I'm really not ofay with this stuff.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X