Japan at Interski  

RSS

(@adrian_hamilton)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Secret Snow Sliding Society
20/04/2019 9:58 am  

Watching this presentation by Takao Maruyama has I think helped me to understand something I have seen from him before, but equally posed some new questions.

I think he's an amazing skier and I've heard so many skiers who are way way better than me say they follow him and try to emulate aspects of his technique.

Watching his teaching videos in Japanese has confused me as, while I can't understand his commentary he appears to be advocating the hip rotating, something that seems to contradict accepted technique. 

In this presentation, however, he stresses that while the hip does move early in the turn, it stops at the apex. This explains how when I watch him ski, I see all the hallmarks of great skiing, including separation, which if the hip continued to move in this way, we wouldn't be seeing.

This in its turn has raised some questions for me. The main one and he doesn't address this, is how do you stop the hip once it's moving. I would have thought the angular momentum created would be extremely difficult to arrest, especially at the point in the turn when forces are greatest. We talk about one of the problems that rotation creates being the difficulty in controlling this momentum.

I can only guess that the inside half would have to be very active to stabilise and control the rotational force that's been created.

I may be missing something, but this is my take on what I've seen and heard. I'd be really interested to hear other opinions.

(@geepers)
Science Friction Club
21/04/2019 12:47 am  

Saw that vid too late to try anything on the snow this season.

There's an explanation and translation around 7:30. If I understand correctly he's saying at the apex the hip joint stops moving forward as that's the time to release into the new outside ski. Something about a new position for the (old) inside ankle.

Wonder if anyone will publish a full vid as there may be more context.

This post was modified 2 years ago by gpatters

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
21/04/2019 7:48 am  

Exactly geepers, but it’s what you do to stop it. I think it must be a fairly subtle move as stopping the momentum isn’t easy.

There’s a friend at our indoor snowslope who has become a massive devotee of Takao’s. He’s picked up the hip movement but not understood the need to stop at the apex. It’s really damaged his skiing in my opinion.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
21/04/2019 7:51 am  

I really liked the presentation from NZSIA and found it to have a lot in common with CSIA.

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Estimable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
22/04/2019 12:04 am  

Great skiing... especially by that woman in the lead on some of those demos runs.  

Aside from that one stationary demo, which I find rather confusing, it seems to me that he is just promoting rolling the feet and turning the femurs in the hip socket to initiate the turning effort. Although I could be totally misunderstanding.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club
26/04/2019 6:20 am  
Posted by: adrian_hamilton

Exactly geepers, but it’s what you do to stop it. I think it must be a fairly subtle move as stopping the momentum isn’t easy.

There’s a friend at our indoor snowslope who has become a massive devotee of Takao’s. He’s picked up the hip movement but not understood the need to stop at the apex. It’s really damaged his skiing in my opinion.

Can only go on the commentary 7:00 to about 8:35 and the watching the skiing. It's an extract of a longer presentation so who knows what we are missing. @skinerd, here's a side by side for a bit of extra comparison. JFB in the 1st. Both at Treble Cone, NZ this past season.

Re your friend...I'm always a little concerned about drawing too many conclusions based on incomplete information. Paul Lorenz mentions in a youtube vid somewhere the Japanese technique evolved for softer snow conditions and is not always well understood.

Then again skiing is fun activity - it's not critical to the continuation of civilisation. So why not some experimentation? Of course it helps to have a handy instructor pull us back before we go too far in a wrong direction. 

Agree with skinerd that it looks really nice skiing. Assuming the instructing community see something in it I guess it will eventually make its way into the mainstream. Purpose of Interski. 

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club
25/11/2019 10:25 pm  

More on Takao ST technique.

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Estimable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
01/12/2019 1:12 am  

@geepers

Interesting... I think I misunderstood what he was trying to say from the previous video. My interpretation of this newer video is that he suggests starting the topple by flexing the hip joint... which makes more sense to me.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club
01/12/2019 9:23 pm  

@skinerd

Also the bit about the amount of movement  "...just a little bit degrees...".

About 10 weeks before I can start experimenting. 🙄 

Please post vid if you feel this leads anywhere.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X