What's The Plan?

Page 5 / 8

(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Secret Snow Sliding Society

Posted by: @skinerd

Agreed, I was only joking about being afraid of stating goals.

My fitness goals are to develop a more functional body that can ski harder, longer and is much more impervious to injury.

My skiing goals are to be the most versatile skier I can be in all terrain and conditions. I want to be more consistent, and I wan’t to be able to carve switch really well, and do cool butters.

Along the way I would like to go to Interski (ideally the next time around before I get too old:) I am aware that will take more than just skiing my best. I must also be on top of my teaching game and increase my involvement in the CSIA.    

I would also like to take more coaching courses, in both freestyle and race, tackle other nation’s certifications, and just take part in other peoples camps/training programs so I can continue learning as much as I was when I was younger. Because learning is fun!

I’d also like to make skiing (and talking about skiing) my year round profession. With a family in tow, the youthful path of following the winters around the globe isn’t ideal... so I’m going to have to get creative:)   

When all that is done, I’d like to reinvigorate my love for the backcountry, climb and ski some big mountains... paint some pictures, play some music, eat amazing food (maybe open a restaurant), visit all those corners of the globe I haven’t seen yet, watch my daughters grow up and live vicariously through all their successes, and of course ski blower powder until the day I die:)

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Reputable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

So now the goals are inked.

Next is the plan. What actions to take to have the best shot of turning those goals into reality? The more specific the better.

In my case the fitness goals are stated somewhere above. The action plan is:

1. Continue the BPS Ski Moves sessions and repeat at least 3-4 sessions per week for the foreseeable future.

2. Continue my regular strength exercise routine 2-3 sessions per week. And add more weight training shortly, mostly for skeletal health with advancing age.

3. Advance the next significant landscape project - it's a goodie for fitness as it involves building a stacked retaining wall. Fair amount of digging, earth moving and stone blocks to be manually transported to/from location. Aiming to time that for best effect for start of season.

Still to find a good aerobics work-out. Has to be low joint impact.

On L3 teach:

1. Rewatch/study P2P 1->3

2. Rewatch/study all the BPS vids

3. Reread Ultimate Skiing and the new CSIA manuals

4. Grab the odd bit of instruction practice on snow by experimenting with some of my ski buddies. They are usually more willing than I am as I'm not about to go into competition with the local ski schools. IThe time will be measured in minutes rather than hours (over the whole season) but it's about the only opportunity to try to get realtime MA.

On ski improvements - will whittle it down to the main items to work on having done L3 Teach items 1->3. Will also be dictated by snow conditions - last season got a grand total of 2 days in the bumps. Just not enough snow.

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

I like the plan @geepers

I think I’m also on the verge of getting into a routine. In the gym last night and had a good bushwhacking session today scouting some new trails around the lodge. Had plenty of wipeouts... best balance work in a while:) Turned over a new leaf and started telling everybody my goals to up the stakes and keep me accountable.

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Reputable Member Moderator
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@skinerd @geepers sounds good to me. Let's keep checking in to keep ion track.

I've had a quiet week. I have a knee injury, not serious I don't think but enough to cut my skiing short to 40 minutes in Monday and missing the BPS sessions on Tuesday and Thursday.

I'd like to report it as a sports injury but it was a granddaughter picking up injury. I'm hoping to be ok by next week.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

@skinerd - good to hear. Nothing like forcing ourselves to follow through. Looking forward to seeing your planned list of action and activities to bring those goals nearer reality!

@adrian_hamilton - was wondering what happened with the BPS sessions. The recordings at least make it easy to catch up.

Had 1st vax jab (AZ) on Tuesday. Did make it to the BPS session that afternoon although not so flash that night and next day. Yesterday went completely deaf in one ear - no idea if that's vax related or something else but never had it before. Disconcerting however seems to be somewhere back to normal today. 

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

We’re down to over 32 year olds for first vaccine and over 40% of the population having had the second. Finally the UK is good at something ......yay. Just hoping the increase in the Indian variant doesn’t scupper things.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

Self diagnosis for the knee is patellofemoral pain syndrome, so I’m treating it as such. Rehab exercises started and I will be following a kinesiology taping protocol from a Welsh physio who has lots of YouTube videos and is really good. If anyone’s interested his name is John Gibbons.

I’ve used kinesiology tape extensively over the years and always have several rolls of it at home. I’ve found John Gibbons protocols to be really successful in alleviating pain.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

May 2021 drawing to a close and the end of the BPS Ski Moves sessions this week.

A recent one from Tom was a little weird - working with pieces of cardboard to simulate skiing at home. There's probably some good learnings in there but it's easy to forget there's a reason people beyond a certain age stop using skateboards, rollerskates and anything else with touchy balance requirements. Skis at least have great fore/aft leverage.

All in all there have been some really good insights into body use in skiing and a large number of low intensity exercises for working those oft neglected smaller muscles so key to stabilising. Much of this can be done whilst going about daily life. Had a few raised eyebrows in the checkout queue but luckily at an age where it no longer concerns. ? Social distancing useful for opening just enough space.

@adrian_hamilton - hope knee is responding. Managing these issues seems to be a big challenge of staying fit and active with age. Seems so easy to overdo something. Or just wake up with a new problem for no obvious reason. Will check out John Gibbons.  

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

https://adrian-hamilton.medium.com/im-jumping-into-this-story-of-my-quest-to-achieve-next-level-ski-instructor-certification-quite-a-21bded16fb70

Well if stating your goals keeps them honest then this is pretty honest. I hope you'll have a read.

gpatters and SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

Love it... well done @adrian_hamilton

I can’t wait to see how this blog concludes! 

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

So the resort where we'll be skiing this season is opening in 3 days - a week or more earlier than planned. Not as exciting as it reads.... Front Valley with snow making looks ok...

Elsewhere not so flash...

Not much snow in the forecast so some optimism required. Still 7-8 weeks from my 1st trip and hopefully Mt P will look whiter by then.

On the plan... fitness is coming along nicely. Just continuing to chip away at it with 2-3 strength sessions. Slowly increasing rep counts and loads. It's surprising how quickly the body responds. Earlier found a huge left/right leg asymmetry doing lunge squats. Worked at it and reckon it's reduced around 75% - right leg still not as stable nor strong a platform but it is vastly improved.

Upped the rate of re-running the BPS ski moves sessions. Already noticing differences and looking forward to seeing how it works out on snow.

Re-watched P2P V1 a couple of days back. It really is classic vid for ski instruction. It's been a few years since I last watched it and I feel my level of knowledge on skiing has improved considerably over that time thanks to all the CSIA courses, etc. Very impressed with the vid - everything makes even more sense. And of course it's now more aligned with current CSIA approach as a result of their refresh/revision.

There's one point I will ask a question on... in Chapter 5 Trouble Shooting at about 7:50, referring to the need to be in the middle of the outside ski, the commentary is:

"Driving forward into the front of the boot is a common cause of upper body rotation. And this usually causes the tail to slip out."

I've come to view cause and effect being the other way around. The tail slips out (from being too forward) which leads to rotation of the whole body and generally loss of separation.

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

Posted by: @geepers

There's one point I will ask a question on... in Chapter 5 Trouble Shooting at about 7:50, referring to the need to be in the middle of the outside ski, the commentary is:

"Driving forward into the front of the boot is a common cause of upper body rotation. And this usually causes the tail to slip out."

I've come to view cause and effect being the other way around. The tail slips out (from being too forward) which leads to rotation of the whole body and generally loss of separation.

I must admit it’s been a long while since I’ve watched it myself:) Some of my thoughts on skiing have certainly evolved since that was filmed, but for the most part, things remain the same with the exception of some vernacular.

I suppose it would be more accurate to say there is a heavy ‘correlation’ between overly flexed ankles (or a foreword stance) and upper body rotation. I think the actual cause is probably situational. 

If the upper body rotates it can pull the mass forward and inside... so it becomes hard to trust the outside ski, because if you put pressure on it, the tail will slip out. This is evident in many of those people who rotate but don’t necessarily down-stem.

Or if the tail slips out, the upper body needs to rotate in an effort to balance on the inside ski and save itself. 

Or if the ankles are locked forward, the upper body tends to move more to compensate which can lead to rotation. Of course, rotation leads to balance on the inside ski which can cause the tail to slip out.

This post was modified 2 months ago by SkiNerd

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

@geepers BTW, that’s some impressive snowmaking. I’m excited for you! And a little bit jealous:) 

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@geepers it's promising though and exciting to get back on the mountain. I'm looking forward to reading about and hopefully viewing video of your progress.

It certainly sounds like the training is paying off.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

@geepers BTW, that’s some impressive snowmaking. I’m excited for you! And a little bit jealous:) 

Yep, the Australian resorts invested heavily in snow making. They have entire teams devoted to just that. And a tonne of snow guns. One resort used to run the marketing line "If there's not enough snow we feel so bad we shoot ourselves." (It was a less sensitive time...)

No need to be jealous - yet!

Unfortunately the snow making equipment covers only a few main trails. And so far it is only for that one trail (Front Valley) as pictured. Typically not worth the 6 hr drive until that creek in the left bottom corner on the Mt Perisher pic fills in naturally. Which will probably be about 4-6 weeks away.

I suppose it would be more accurate to say there is a heavy ‘correlation’ between overly flexed ankles (or a foreword stance) and upper body rotation. I think the actual cause is probably situational.

I think that and the following paragraphs cover it.

IMO the vid stands up really well. When the 4 Tech Refs were in vogue it needed a bit of thought to align. But now it's right on main line. 

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 8
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X