Clear all

What's The Plan?

Page 6 / 8

(@geepers)
Reputable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club
Secret Snow Sliding Society

Posted by: @adrian_hamilton

@geepers it's promising though and exciting to get back on the mountain. I'm looking forward to reading about and hopefully viewing video of your progress.

It certainly sounds like the training is paying off.

Got to thank you for that boost to the fitness program. Making the diary of workouts was key. Became really important not to let more than an occasional day go by without making an entry. ? 

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Reputable Member Moderator
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

This is the second blog. I intend to get into a bit less history and a bit more process in the next one. It's really enjoyable to do actually.

OVERCOMING SETBACKS. ARRIVING AT A NEW RESOLVE | by Adrian Hamilton | Jun, 2021 | Medium

gpatters and SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

@adrian_hamilton - I sure hope Kath came out of that incident with minimal long term consequences.

Looking forward to the next chapters of this blog.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@geepers she did. The physio was excellent. She has worked on my back and been the best I've ever used. She doesn't know skiing specifically but she listens and adapts rehab accordingly.

Cath was really conscientious with her rehab at home and consequently made great progress. It actually spurred her on to become fitter and stronger.

She hasn't tested the knee on a mountain but she can do everything fine; mountain biking, agility training where there's a lot of changes of direction with joints under pressure etc., so I can't see an issue.

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

That's excellent news re Cath.

Here's the situation in Australia... not a bad opening salvo by Ullr. That creek almost filled in. Supposedly more on the way.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@geepers it looks really promising. Let's hope you're in for a great season.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

@adrian_hamilton Really enjoying following along… and I think this blog will act as a great motivator. It will be really interesting to see how all this physical and mental prep translate into your skiing next winter.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

@adrian_hamilton - yep, blog is a good read. Keep it coming.

Couple of points re post 3...

The rest-up or exercise trade-off is an excellent point. Too often I've let a minor niggle talk me out of doing a routine. Now finding it helps to ask: if this was a ski-day would I sit this one out? Generally gives the right answer - sure don't like missing ski days.

Somewhere in all of this it may be a good idea to remind ourselves and others (especially non-skiers) that we do this for fun. Sure, skiing is more effort than sitting around, but it's mostly fun. Certainly my main Canadian resort is dominated by mature citizens any typical week day. And they aren't just cruising the blues!

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

Looking ordinary on the Australian snow fields this morning. Too warm. Rain.

Mt Perisher

Smiggins

Hotham

Thredbo

May get some more snow in next couple of days however it's only a little and it'll only be up high. So typical early Australian conditions.

Also...

Unfortunately we've had a covid outbreak in Sydney. Very small by world standards (about 40 cases so far) however the Australian approach has been elimination so precautions and shutdowns are imposed quickly. All back in masks outside home and some significant areas of the city are unable to legally travel outside the city. Depending on cases today this may be extended.

School holidays just started so anyone inside the no travel zone has already lost any ski week they were planning. The travel bubble with New Zealand has also been stopped for Sydneysiders.

All quite small stuff in the grand scheme but a lot of finger and toe crossing that the weather and covid breaks the right way for the rest of the season. Be annoying to not get to apply all this exercising! ? 

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@geepers I hope it's stamped out quickly. I saw last week that both Australia and New Zealand have very low vaccination figures. That approach needs to change to allow you to be able to travel again. The virus is with us now and won't be going anywhere. Governments need to manage that situation and isolation isn't a long term solution.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

@adrian_hamilton - we hold our breath waiting for the daily infection figures.

The Delta variant is causing major concerns as it is so infectious. With the overall community infection rate being so low in Australia we have very good contact tracing and they have recorded cases of people being infected just walking past another infected person in a shopping center. Doesn't require an extended period of contact.

Absolutely agree on the need to speed up the vaccination program. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, it has not been handled well. Less than 3% fully vaccinated and less than 25% of eligible people (>16) have had a 1st shot. The problems aren't easily fixed as there's a perception problem with the vaccine most readily available and a lack of supply of the vaccine perceived as the better answer. Plus the Govt refuses to admit there's been a stuff-up. (Boris isn't the only Boris out there.)

Wife was fully vaccinated some months ago (essential health worker) and I've brought forward my scheduled 2nd shot to cover skiing.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

I've decided to get rid of a couple of pairs of skis that I'm just not feeling are right for me. I've always been weird with equipment, not just skiing wise. I even used to take a couple of games to feel like I could get back to my level in new football boots, I'm that weird.

My feeling is that I'm really comfortable and ski at my best on my Head Titans. They're getting old now and while there's still life in them, I want to replace them. Head don't appear to have fundamentally changed things, rather tweaked them. If I can sell the 2 pairs I'm trying to decide between the Rally and the Titans. The Rally is now 78 underfoot from the old 76 and the Titans 84 from 80. 

Of course the main aim is for a ski to work on Level 3 stuff, the intention being our trip to Banff in January and also Hintertux with Skinerd in October.

Any similar skis would also be considered but I'm looking for a performance ski that has some capability for chop, crud etc., so not a softer 'All Mountain' ski and not a 'Race' model.

ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

@adrian_hamilton Our local shop is ordering a set of Elan Wingman 82 CTi for me this coming season. My hope is that it's just as you described -- performance-oriented with some additional capability. The 21/22 season model is the same ski, but new graphics. (Graphics are meh, but not buying them for the graphics...)

elan 2022 wingman 82 cti fusion x emx12  prop 1000x604

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@therealmrtall I've never tried an Elan ski. They're not too visible over here. Also I was told some years ago that they have a big delta angle which wouldn't suit my morphology. I don't know if they still do. Thanks, I will certainly take a look.

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 8
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X