Clear all

Resort Opinions

(@adrian_hamilton)
Reputable Member Moderator
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Secret Snow Sliding Society
Topic starter  

This is quite a specific thread but if anyone wants to widen it out feel free.

As it's just about certain we won't be skiing at all this season, we're thinking about next season and a bit of a tour if we can make it work.

One option is to start from Calgary and take in 4 or 5 from Castle, Fernie, Kimberley, Whitewater, Red, Panorama, and Kicking Horse. The other option would be Vancouver with 4 or 5 from Mount Washington, Whistler, Sun Peaks, Big White, Revelstoke, Silver Star and Apex.

We've skied MW, Whistler, Sun Peaks and Big White but any feedback or opinions about the rest would be welcome. Also any suggestions for finding affordable lodging would be good.

We have looked at renting an RV but first impressions are that it's very expensive, so it's probably going to be staying in a small condo and renting a car. I always find the accommodation in Canada to be of a very high standard compared to Europe but we're really happy with something small and fairly basic as long as it's warm, dry with a bed and somewhere to cook.

SkiNerd liked
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

I think either route sounds epic! I would probably opt for the Rockies heading west tour, but that’s just because I live on the Coast so it seems a bit more exotic for me. Castle is a great little hill with nice steeps, love Fernie, Panorama, Revy, Red, Whitewater... all of them!

Of course the coast is great too. Especially if you want a little ocean/rainforest time in the mix. I still think Whistler probably has the best variety of terrain anywhere, but you really have to know where you’re going to find the good stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Reputable Member Moderator
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@skinerd that was my feeling that the Rockies trip was the better one. We love to ski new places and also particularly love smaller and quieter hills. The biggest pull for the Vancouver option is so we can visit Mount Washington. It's such a special place for us. That season meant more than just ski teaching.

This is all at a really early stage and I'm always trying to find ways of planning new adventures but it would be amazing if we could make it work.

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

@adrian_hamilton Well of course I think you should come to the Island... but I was attempting to be unbiased:)

ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

I also like the idea of smaller resorts. I have only skied in a few BC locations: the Island, Cypress (only a few runs open due to lack of snow), and Whistler. So either trip in my eyes would be epic. Starting in the Rockies does sound pretty awesome though.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X