What's your favourite resort/ area

Page 1 / 2

(@adrian_hamilton)
Reputable Member Moderator
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Secret Snow Sliding Society
Topic starter  

With snow flying, even here in the Northwest of England and many of us not able to get our ski fix I am thinking back to good times skiing. Where is the best place you have ever skied and why?

It's not an easy question to answer for me but everything considered I have decided on Mount Washington BC. It's not the biggest resort by any means. It does have some fantastic terrain and most years the deepest snow you will ever see, but for me the biggest reason is nostalgic. Me and my wife spent 5 wonderful months there teaching a few years ago. They were the best times.

Other places worth an honourable mention: Sunshine Village AB, Sun Peaks BC, Saas Fee in Switzerland.

I look forward to hearing your favourites.

SkiNerd liked
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

Well, as an Islander who grew up skiing on Mount Washington I’m going to have to agree with you there.

With a close second going to another Island favourite Mount Cain. I know I’ve shared this a few times but I must do it again

Also on my list of favs:

• Whistler/Blackcomb
  • Revelstoke
  • Castle Mountain
  • Treble Cone
  • Broken River
  • Nevados de Chillan
  • Fernie
  • Nozawa Onsen
  • Cortina (The one in Hakuba, Japan... although the original in the Dolomites is also beautiful)
  • Hintertux
  • Red Mountain
  • Whitewater
  • Panorama
  • Squaw Valley
  • Jackson Hole
  • I cant stop...

Marcus liked
ReplyQuote
(@cath_hamilton)
Active Member Science Friction Club
Science Friction Club

It's a difficult one. It will definitely be a Canadian ski area and I think for majestic scenery on top of a fantastic ski area I am going for Lake Louise.

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

I loved to ski on Forbidden Plateau, Vancouver Island, mostly for nostalgic reasons. I learned to ski there. One great thing about it was the terrain. It was a small resort, even compared to Mt. Washington, but the terrain was very interesting. Lots of rolls, one or two nice bowls, and runs surrounded by very tall trees -- like skiing through a forest. Kandahar was one of my favorite runs. Upper and Lower Boston. Even the Logging Road -- a green run -- was great. So long and wound its way down the mountain. Felt like a downhiller on some of those. My dad used to drive me up in the morning, drop me off and pick me up at the end of the day. 

It was also at Forbidden where I obtained my CSIA Level 1 (circa 1993?) and started ski teaching. This venture started when a friend of mine saw a job posting for ski instructors. We figured: "get paid to ski, free season pass... let's do this!" And we went from there. My memory is hazy, but I think we taught there for two seasons.

It was place stuck in time. 

"If nearby Mt. Washington Resort is the shiny sport utility vehicle of ski hills, then Forbidden was the rusty old beater that kept on running with its trunk-full of winter memories"

Vancouver Sun, Nov. 13, 1999

Step into a time machine at https://www.forbiddenskihill.ca.

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Science Friction Club

Just to add to my previous post, I've only skied in a few places in BC, but mostly on the Island. Here's my list:

• Mt. Washington
  • Mt. Cain
  • Forbidden Plateau
  • Whistler
  • Nagano Japan in the Hakuba Valley (Happo One, Goryu, Cortina) and Nazowa Onsen.

The 2018 Section 8 Japan trip was amazing. Good memories. New friends. Great skiing. I'd do that again in a second. Looking forward to when more are possible. Would love to hit Austria, Switzerland, and Iceland.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@therealmrtall we may get to meet up in Austria if the camp runs this year. We’d also really like to get back to Mt. Washington soon so you never know. It’s definitely in the plans for next season all being well.

When we were in the island we never got to ski Mt. Cain though we had hoped to. I heard a lot of people talk about the Forbidden Plateau with nostalgic affection, including our son.

ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Science Friction Club

Posted by: @adrian_hamilton

@therealmrtall we may get to meet up in Austria if the camp runs this year. We’d also really like to get back to Mt. Washington soon so you never know. It’s definitely in the plans for next season all being well.

Fingers crossed for next season, but it's very tough to tell at this point. Our immunization schedule in BC (for age range) is the July/August timeframe with Dose 1 in July and Dose 2 in August. Our family doc mentioned that it's looking like fall before things begin to normalize again; the deciding factor will be whether enough of the population is vaccinated.  

I'd love to hit some more BC resorts. Big White is on the radar. Apparently a great resort for families, so it's a good option with a young one in tow. Have to experience the "Okanagan Champagne powder" that I always hear about in Josh Foster's videos.

I'd like to hit the Section 8 camp in Revelstoke too, but it almost feels easier to go to Japan. ? 

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@skierjohan)
Eminent Member Science Friction Club
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper

Hakuba Happo One is my 1st pick, especially naturally being competitive by Seagal handed Samurai skiers, but also they have not only steep gloomers, but some nice techniqual bumps there.
My 2nd pick is Shigakogen, it's huge and I love Nagano Olympic courses.
3rd pick, I say Mount Washington, the homebase of Section 8. Reason? Join the camp!

My preferance is based on I am kinda Samurai Sword on the snow Ninja (Downhill Curving for risking Speeding Ticket), but Section 8 mindconctrolled me for In Order To Be The Best, You Must Loose Your Mind.

SkiNerd and Marcus liked
ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@skierjohan I'd love to ski in Japan. 

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Science Friction Club

Posted by: @adrian_hamilton

@skierjohan I'd love to ski in Japan. 

Pretty cool experience. Saw some live ski jumping, which was a highlight. (Wow, talk about guts... watching it on TV does it no justice.)

One of the places that stands out to me is Cortina (Hakuba). Some steep tree lines and terrain there. @Skinerd has been known to say: "...you have to scare yourself at least once a day". Cortina stands out because one day there had set me up for a few "scare yourself" credits. ?  Short story is, I need to get into the off-piste and steeps more.

I'll try to get around to posting a few photos of the Japan trip. Very few photos of the actual skiing, because, well, we were skiing!

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@skierjohan)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper

Here is some action cam view of Cortina.

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

@skierjohan @therealmrtall That was a fun day!

ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Science Friction Club

@skinerd I remember thinking that the hotel was like something out of The Shining. @skierjohan also drew blood from what I recall -- a decent crash! Remember the Aussie (with the very colourful language) who took our photo? ? That was good day.

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

@therealmrtall Haha, yep good times!

ReplyQuote
(@skierjohan)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper

Yes, the hotel is huge. And I thought my leg bone was broken, but somehow the shock released to the air, so I was saved.

https://www.hgp.co.jp/cortina/ski/index.html

This post was modified 6 months ago by skierhiroshisan

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X