Clear all

Richi Berger’s Ski World

(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Secret Snow Sliding Society
Topic starter  

Richi Berger has been putting out these demo videos. I figure we ought to have a thread for them as a good visual. The outfits are a little over the top, but his short turns are second to none:)

(@geepers)
Reputable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

Another great skier providing very useful insights. This latest series seem to be amongst the best stuff he's provided.

Looking forward to trying some of these on snow.

Concept of downhill and uphill turning.

Where's the middle of the ski (or how not to be too forward). Have done this and it's a very insightful. (From vid #4).

This one seems to have a bit of everything - edging, separation, angulation, positioning of the feet wrt GRF... (not so sure I'm looking forward to actually dropping the rear end into the snow...but it seems there's more advocating it... ? )

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  
Posted by: @geepers

Where's the middle of the ski (or how not to be too forward). Have done this and it's a very insightful. (From vid #4).

Yes, a classic! I can’t believe I forgot to add boot skiing to the drill library:)

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  

Concept of downhill and uphill turning

Agreed, cool concept. So many people struggle with the top of the arc. I’m going to have to break that out on a session and see how it goes over.

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

Posted by: @skinerd

Concept of downhill and uphill turning

Agreed, cool concept. So many people struggle with the top of the arc. I’m going to have to break that out on a session and see how it goes over.

Been wondering if part of that struggle with top of arc is due to ole TR#2 "Turning is led by the lower body and the ski design". (Or whatever the local version of that happens to be.)

Point being that there is a necessary focus on a disciplined upper body and we don't want the upper body unnecessarily twisting and/or leaning as the primary means of initiating the turn. However at a certain level of competence having the idea in our heads that the upper body is to remain more or less vertical and do as little as possible is counter-productive.

Also suspect those cool images of skiers with legs cranked way over and upper bodies tending towards vertical is creating the wrong impression.

Prefer the way it's written in the CSIA manuals now with the part about biasing lateral balance to the outside later in the turn resulting in toppling out of the old and into the new. And the way Mark Sedgwick (spelling?) described it as the ski being manipulated by the lower body whilst the upper body provides ballast. The way I understand that is we bias balance to the outside so we can use the forces of the old turn to project our upper body where we'd like it to be to provide ballast for the new turn. Develop inclination through the top of the turn (Richie's downhill turning) and then angulate for balance (Richie's uphill turning).

Hopefully that understanding isn't too far off the mark. Certainly felt better on snow last season with the focus on toppling/projecting.    

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  

Point being that there is a necessary focus on a disciplined upper body and we don't want the upper body unnecessarily twisting and/or leaning as the primary means of initiating the turn. However at a certain level of competence having the idea in our heads that the upper body is to remain more or less vertical and do as little as possible is counter-productive.

This certainly seems to be the case with a lot of instructors. I’ve falling victim to it myself.

Also suspect those cool images of skiers with legs cranked way over and upper bodies tending towards vertical is creating the wrong impression.

And yes, I think the separation/angulation has been overcooked in many of these images:)

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

Posted by: @skinerd

And yes, I think the separation/angulation has been overcooked in many of these images:)

Wondering if it's more a case of timing and people reading too much into static images that don't show the relative motions of body segments.

LV showing plenty of upper body inclination into the top of the turn in this vid.

Yet if we grabbed one image the wrong impression can be conveyed.

Looking at Warren Jobbitt's transition vid I notice that the upper body should be inclining to be at least perpendicular to the pitch.

Something I'm planning to work on when the season gets under way. 

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  

Some nice shorties in tricky snow.

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@geepers)