Page 1 / 2

(@adrian_hamilton)
Reputable Member Moderator
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Secret Snow Sliding Society
Topic starter  

CSIA - Intro to Parallel Demonstration - EN on Vimeo

Has anyone got any thoughts on the latest video offering form CSIA? I know it's a very basic level and as it says introduction but one thing that jumped out at me was how square to the skis all the skiers demonstrating are. Is this just skiing to the level of the manoeuvre, skiing appropriate to the speed and terrain or a slight change in thinking? I can't decide.

The other thing I always like at this level is to encourage a bit of steering of the inside ski rather than solely pulling the ski in at the tail. This encourages turning the femur in the hip socket.

One of the central philosophies of our system to me has always been that we teach the same moves to early learners as to experts; therefore I would have liked to see just a little bit of separation (or maybe there is already) and a bit of steering from the demonstrators. 

(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

I see some separation as a result of leading the steering effort with the legs (in some turns more than others), however it doesn’t appear very obvious as very little angulation is needed for such a drifted turn. The black suits do a pretty good job of hiding it as well:) 

The angle in this screen shot shows pretty clear separation.

B04C1DA3 00CD 4F4C B467 62C561B49F8E

When teaching students to move into parallel, I find one of the key factors is getting grip with the outside ski so it becomes a solid platform to balance against. Then the inside ski becomes easier to steer with it. So from a tactical perspective, I might consider adding a touch more angulation/grip at the bottom of the arc compared to some of the turns demonstrated here. But that is just my personal perspective.

ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

For what it's worth, I thought the demonstrations were great (but I'm no expert). To me there's definitely some separation -- looking at how the belly button is more pointed toward the tip of the turning ski. It's quite a bit more obvious in the screenshot @SkiNerd shared.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

I can see a bit of separation in some but not in others. I was just curious as to whether there was a move to be a bit more square.

DDD26AE1 0F18 41D4 A02C 70442E55C919
ED2C5965 DAA9 4395 BB36 FAC24778D09F
64F9F76E 57A7 48A2 A793 AF12994AD46C

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

That demonstrator does seem to add a bit more drift and pause compared to the other and therefore does appear to square up a touch more between turns. I just chalked it up to a tactical choice... but perhaps I’m being overly diplomatic.

As far as I know there isn’t a unified move within the CSIA to be “more square” than in years past. However, “natural separation” is a buzzword that’s been thrown around a lot by course conductors in an attempt to reign in the rampant counter rotation and posed separation that has resulted from so much focus on separation in the past.

So I don’t think it’s a new technical model rather just the result of an evolutionary process. People trend one way until is becomes a problem... then trend the other way until it becomes a problem.

I still think a good rule of thumb for rotational control is for the upper body to face the direction of momentum, but this can be adjusted either way based on whether you need more edge, less edge, more strength, mobility, twisting power etc. 

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@skinerd thanks, I get that explanation.

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

The video was posted on Facebook by Derek Tate of IASI. I have a lot of time for Derek and he recently published a good sports psychology book. 

Someone posted that they noticed ski divergence in demonstrator 1 in the video. Any thoughts?

ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Science Friction Club

Posted by: @adrian_hamilton

Someone posted that they noticed ski divergence in demonstrator 1 in the video. Any thoughts?

Interesting that you mentioned that because it's one thing I noted when I first watched the video. After watching a couple of times subsequently, it seems to appear very subtly right at the end of the turn. Balance is still firmly on the turning ski, and the outside ski does not diverge. In other words, the divergence (if any) doesn't look like Scissoring Skis to me.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@therealmrtall I even wondered if it was something as simple as the ski just wandering a little bit as it's very flat on the snow. I may be wrong but I also think the person in question might have had a bit of an agenda in looking to nit pick as much as possible.

ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Science Friction Club

Here are a couple of examples that caught my eye: 

Screen Shot 2021 01 21 at 10.50.05 AM
Screen Shot 2021 01 21 at 10.49.02 AM
Screen Shot 2021 01 21 at 10.48.43 AM
Screen Shot 2021 01 21 at 10.50.14 AM

Seems to correct in the second screenshot.

ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Science Friction Club

Posted by: @adrian_hamilton

I may be wrong but I also think the person in question might have had a bit of an agenda in looking to nit pick as much as possible.

Haha! I often feel cheeky offering my critique, especially when I see the same (or at least of the) demonstrators skiing Bumps, in which the criticism of my skiing would be (justifiably) abundant!

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Topic starter  

@therealmrtall those don't look great to be honest.

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club

I don’t think the still images tell the whole story here. Looking at the video, the balance looks nicely placed through the middle of the outside ski. The inside ski is very light on the snow and just gets over-steered for a millisecond while trying the match, and is then is quickly corrected.

Seeing as the objective is to match the inside ski after the fall line, and it has no part in the steering effort, I would say it’s a pretty forgivable hiccup. The demonstrator may just be trying to emphasize the matching action and it goes a touch too far.

gpatters and Marcus liked
ReplyQuote
(@therealmrtall)
Science Friction Club

@adrian_hamilton Looked like some good free skiing, IMHO. A nice "air it out" maneuver in there I liked around 1:52. 

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Reputable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

@therealmrtall

Yep, like all those bump run demos.

Have to chuckle... the last time I had Jamie as a course facilitator he pinged me for looking at my ski tips. (Guilty - damn annoying habit to break...) However it sure looks to me like JJ quite like his ski tips too!

Fred Lépine's run shouts strength - that work in the gym paying off big time.

Not sure who the aerialist is - nice hop.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X