Early Edging  

RSS

(@adrian_hamilton)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
Secret Snow Sliding Society
16/01/2020 10:32 pm  

The more I chase the Holy Grail of skiing, whatever that is, the more I find early edging rears its head. 

What are your cues/ tips/ exercises to improve your early edging?

(@skinerd)
Estimable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
18/01/2020 4:37 am  

This could get good. Lots of cues for different levels of ski performance... but for starters, I think I did a video on that:

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club
18/01/2020 10:54 pm  

"Flash your bases to the trees" (on the side of the run). That one helped.

Skinerd's vid is very relevant although my own initiation is to move my knees in the direction of the new turn. The femurs rotate in the hip sockets but the feet are not rotated. The new outside foot everts and the new inside foot inverts on the respective subtalar joints. The feeling in the outside foot is as described in the vid - flattening the foot on the footbed and the ankle against the side of the boot.

Whether it is right or wrong to initiate by thinking knees rather than ankles it's what I've been doing. It's all connected so nothing is going to move anywhere without ankles/knees/hips all moving together. Will experiment more when back on the snow.

Must say I'm a little wary of rushing to the inside as a result of haste to swap edges. So the other expression I try to keep in mind is "Always be moving in or moving out".

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
19/01/2020 8:08 am  

I've been focusing more on rolling the ankles than using the knees. Doing some off snow activation has definitely helped with this, just standing and rolling my ankles simultaneously. It's interesting how much improvement this has made.

I got my wife to do the same and it showed some noticeable imbalances in her ability to acheive the same movement in both feet. This may be due to a foot operation she had a few years ago but clearly the muscles weren't being activated properly.

You can then move this as a static exercise in boots and onto the hill. A progression I like is standing side on to the hill, rolling the ankles to flatten the skis and then back to grip sharply. The developments of this are endless: doing the same in a traverse; making a more complete roll in a garland etc. etc.

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Estimable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
23/01/2020 4:01 pm  

I’ve had pretty good success with all the above mentioned cues... and while teaching yesterday on our RevelSteep Camp I got a flash of inspiration and invented a new drill for this.

Fortunately, we got it on video so I will post it in the drill library when I get a chance to edit it up. I just have to come up with a clever name for it!

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
23/01/2020 6:08 pm  

Look forward to that one. Why not have a competition with the prize being an all expenses paid trip to the Japan camp hahaha?

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
23/01/2020 6:10 pm  

Another cue that resonates with me is to release the camber of the old outside ski.

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club
24/01/2020 10:39 pm  

First day back on snow since August. New skis. Keeping it easy - just trying to find the middle of the ski... Poor visibility added to the challenge.

Not sure it makes a much difference thinking ankle or knee as long as the knee rotates a little to the inside and the outside foot is little toe up, big toe down. (But I reserve the right to change my mind after more days on skis. 😊 )

It cleared a little after lunch and had a chance to let the skis run. Tend to agree with the idea (Tom Gellie) of letting the new outside foot lengthen/pronate before rolling to the new edges. It's a split second but seems to establish a better platform.

Look forward to using this new drill - whatever it is called.

Speaking of drills... how about a section with 1st-day-back-on-hill and early season drills?

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper
25/01/2020 8:44 am  

I might try Tom's cue. JF mentioned it in one of his videos.

In the meantime, here's a first day tip from Section8:

ReplyQuote
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X