(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Secret Snow Sliding Society
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,

I need your suggestions

It's time to start building out the Secret Snow Sliding Society drill library, so I'm on a mission to try every drill know to human kind this season.

Your job is to reply with your favorite skiing drills and exercises and what you think their good for... and don't shy away from the weird ones. Challenge me!

(@geepers)
Reputable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club

This is a bit of a challenge as it needs some coherent thought on the usefulness of a drill. And you've already covered many drills in your vids - some, like the dolphin and javelin in the public section.

Cannot recall seeing a vid of you doing inside out turns (white pass turns). Now one of my favorite drills which teaches patience with moving inside the turn and establishes good fore/aft balance, lateral balance and correct foot placement when the new outside ski is re-engaged.  Also sets the skier up to continue to move inside through the turn rather than park n ride. 

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  

Sounds goods @geepers  

My goal over time is to film as many variations of as many drills as possble and discuss the associated cues and possble uses.

White pass turns will be first on the list... now we just need some snow!

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Reputable Member Moderator
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper

Here are a few of mine.

Skiing into javelin - chiefly for separation but I also really try and make sure I remain well stacked as I find it's easy to lose shin contact if you're not careful. I make sure the javelin is the outcome of steering the outside leg underneath rather than placing it there. I also try to make sure not to go too far, just having the inside tip pretty much over the outside one.

If my short turns aren't going well, I like to use braquage and JF's 'decider rider,' hockey stops. Both of these really get the femur turning in the hip socket. Braquage is also one I often moan about seeing people doing as I see it as a fairly high level drill and done badly can easily make bad habits like rotation worse rather than better.

The decider rider idea makes a lot of sense to me, whereby the inside leg dictates the radius while you are still committed to the outside ski which provides the drive.

I have been using some simple drills to activate my ankles. Slip then grip using primarily lateral ankle movements are a help, particularly in short turns and I often just ski with my toes pressed against the top of my boots to activate the tibialis anterior muscle in the shin.

There's my starter for 10 (probably a reference only other Brits will understand)

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper

I have always had a problem with inside ski drills such as White Pass. I am really weak. I don't know if my twisted lower right leg has anything to do with it (24 degrees of tibial torsion) Any tips for a good progression?

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

@adrian_hamilton

I have found a few things that helped:

1. Practicing dryland balancing on one foot, being active from the ankle rather than the knee. Improves propioception and helps with all the one ski drills. Can use a balancing pad for a little more challenge.

And specifically for the inside out turn...

2. Initiate the turning of the inside ski with a little hop. Helps with the commitment of the body across the new inside ski and skips the need to roll that ski on edge. The hop may only be needed for the 1st few attempts at the drill.

3. Keep the poles lightly in contact with the snow. There's quite a few online demos of the drill where high level instructors keep the poles in contact with the snow. However I'd suggest keeping a light touch in order not to become dependent on them.

4. Aim to keep the raised (new) outside ski only a few inches off the snow.  Then, if over-doing the move across the inside ski, can still save the situation with the "outrigger". 

Must say this drill alarmed me when 1st had to do it in some-one's teach assess. She used the hop (point 2) to get us going but I wasn't comfortable with the whole concept. Met them again last Feb with Jamie Jacks insisting/encouraging and now my favorite carving drill.

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper

Thanks gpatters, these are really good ideas. It's a really hit and miss drill for me and one I want to improve this season. What happened to the geepers name?

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

@adrian_hamilton

No idea what happened to geepers. Must be a blog setting change or something - gpatters is part of my email address.

Are you still utilising that indoor ski center? (Would love one of those near here.)

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper

Yes we’re getting there a couple of times a week. It’s a great resource though with obvious limitations. Our eldest granddaughter had her first lesson there a couple of weeks ago, just before her 3rd birthday. She loved it and was making some nice little direction changes in a small wedge.

It’s definitely the place to try drills. 

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  

@geepers Nice white pass variations.

PS: I have no idea why your display name changed but you should be able to edit it in your forum profile.

ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper

Spiess is an awesome drill. I was just beginning to get quite proficient a couple of years ago but since then my back injury has been so fragile I've hardly tried it.

The best bit of advice was not to think of competence as being good at jumping, but rather being good at coiling (separation)

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  

@adrian_hamilton

Speiss has to be one of my all time favorites

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Science Friction Club

He he... last season Jamie Jacks suggested we do 50 Speiss per day if we wanted L3 and 200 per day for L4. Kept to the 50 program for a week until my hips said no more of this, thank you very much. (Mini-speiss is ok.)

Speiss is a great drill however for me it makes the point that sometimes injuries, limited athletic ability or other factors are going to mean that a drill cannot be executed perfectly or even at all. So it would be really useful to have alternatives or progressions.

The Section 8 vid on dolphins is an excellent example. Breaks the drill down really well and also has the less demanding approach of using bumps or a ridge.

This post was modified 2 years ago by gpatters

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@adrian_hamilton)
Science Friction Club
Section 8 Camper

I was advised the same 50 a day. 

Here's a bit of a progressions to Spiess.

• From sideslip turn skis further and use the torque to release with hop-skis all off snow
• Shorten slip
• Link into Spiess

SkiNerd liked
ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Reputable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  

The steeper the slope... the easier Speiss becomes

ReplyQuote