New CSIA Pathway & L4 Academy  

RSS

(@skinerd)
Estimable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Secret Snow Sliding Society
19/10/2020 12:46 am  

For years I’ve been quietly suggesting to anyone who will listen that the Level 4 exam should simply be a test to get in... and then the course itself should be a boot camp academy type program for the entire season (like most other trade schools). Lo and behold that’s exactly what is happening with he new CSIA pathway!

I think this is a big step in the right direction to develop more consistency between trainers and course conductors, and will hopefully resolve the number one gripe amongst course candidates.     

91836C7C E25A 4C2E A3F0 4057EDD8EB07

(@skinerd)
Estimable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
18/11/2020 10:15 pm  

Just to follow up on this. I’m in Lake Louise at the moment for the Course Conductor’s annual update.

Which also means I just had my first day on snow in forever! Since early March... that’s the longest I’ve been off snow since 1985.

Anyway lot’s of changes to the certification pathway, course layout and vocabulary... but of course going in left and right on snow is still pretty much the same. Things seem to be simplified somewhat and I quite like the direction the CSIA are headed (in fact a lot of it seems to be falling more in line with SkierLab). There is a lot more focus on the skis interaction with the snow... and we’re finally admitting there are no absolutes in ski technique!

gpatters liked
ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club
19/11/2020 10:38 pm  

@skinerd - is this specifically to do with L4? Or does it affect all the levels? Are the 4 Tech Refs being altered / replaced?

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Estimable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
20/11/2020 3:50 am  

@geepers The pathway has changed for all levels. 

All resources are still a work in progress which has been done intentionally so things can be tweaked and improved throughout the season based on course conductor feedback.

So don’t take any of this as gospel!

The skills system has been reintroduced but now focuses primarily on the ski/snow interaction. Something I’ve been a long term proponent of.

• Rotational Control
  • Edge Control
  • Pressure Control

The ‘4 planes of balance’ which went away for a few years, are back and have been reintroduced as the ‘4 planes of movement’ (sounds familiar:)

• Fore/Aft
  • Vertical
  • Rotational
  • Lateral 

The technical reference has been replaced with a brief description of the the skills mentioned above, but leaves lots of room for interpretation (I can’t find it word for word at the moment).  

Overall, a lot of great stuff from the past has returned and has been reinvented in a better form. At the same time, some of the great things developed over the last few years have disappeared or have been obscured (like the decision making model). Some of the language has changed and still needs refining and some of the maneuvers for exams should probably be made a bit more objective (and less subjective)... but as I mentioned it’s a work in progress and I’m sure it will evolve over the season.

Some of the resources in the works are well structured and will hopefully make Course Conductors more consistent, however, whenever there are changes there will also be some confusion so it will probably take a year or two for everybody to get on the same page.

It’s going to be fun working our way through it:)

ReplyQuote
(@geepers)
Estimable Member Secret Snow Sliding Society
Science Friction Club
20/11/2020 11:25 am  

@skinerd - thank for the heads up. Will be interested to see how this plays out on snow in the courses and exams.

But won't be this season. 🙄 Australians are largely stuck in country.

Hopefully be some CSIA content out on the web so there's at least something to think about.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00