Notifications
Clear all

The CSIA Trainer Exam  

(@mattfromvan)
New Member Science Friction Club
Science Friction Club
Topic starter  

Question for SkiNerd and the rest of the esteemed members here. What is the objective of the Trainer Exam?

I don't mean that in a "why is this a thing" sense, but more of a "what are we supposed to do here?" sort of way.

For background, I'm a CSIA 3, and L1 CC, and technically I've done the TD Module twice. Once a few years ago at the BC Course Conductor refresher, when they brought in the requirement that everyone have done the module to be a CC, and again in December 2020 when the new rules requiring all course conductors to pass the trainer exam. Those two times, the CC refresher counted as a TD module, and what I noticed is that in each group, they were told different things as to what the exam actually is.

I've spoken to people who have passed, people who have failed, and some L4s, and it seems like there's no clear answer. 

Dr. Ken said it's a matter of running a scenario within a L1 course where you are teaching how to teach a lesson plan out of the L1 course, with a focus on how to assess, imparting what to look for (SkiNerd's diagnostics are fantastic for this by the way)

Others have been told that it's a matter of running a training session and improving the skills of the other candidates in the group, much like the L3 exam, but at a higher level of technical understanding.

And then I've heard the objective is to take a task like a wedge turn, and improve the heck out of it with your group.

Apologies for rambling a bit, just trying to acquire (or steal) as much knowledge as possible!

(@skinerd)
Estimable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Secret Snow Sliding Society

@mattfromvan The Trainer Development Module essentially replaces the “Pedagogy” portion of the level 4. The idea is to help the people you’re training develop an understanding of teaching methodology through ‘Modeling’ and ‘Labelling.’

The modeling part is just demonstrating a good lesson. The labeling part is explaining what you did, how you did it and why you did it.

ReplyQuote
(@skinerd)
Estimable Member Admin
Section 8 Coach
Science Friction Club
Secret Snow Sliding Society

Here is a screenshot of the current evaluation form to let you know which boxes you need to tick.

99A1CD04 C7BE 4F56 9F6F 4FB30A280838

ReplyQuote
Share:
Item added to cart.
0 items - $0.00
X